What is Fair Wear and Tear?
‘Fair wear and tear’ is when a vehicle’s condition deteriorates over time. This is not considered to be damage to the vehicle; after all, repeated use is bound to have an effect.
Take a look below for a quick rundown of what to expect when handing your vehicle back to us and our assessment of fair wear and tear. Our guides below also show examples, measurements and terms to be aware of.
As a member of the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA), we follow the guidelines given in the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear Guide.
Use the buttons below to download our Fair Wear and Tear Guides.Wear and Tear Guide Cars Wear and Tear Guide Vans
What to consider when returning your vehicle
You should return the vehicle clean inside and out, without any rubbish or personal belongings. All original documentation and equipment should be inside, with the service book stamped. Other things to remember include:
- Get your vehicle checked for any issues 10 to 12 weeks prior to returning it to us.
- Detach your house keys from the vehicle key fob and locate any spare keys.
- Ensure that all tools and the spare wheel/space saver are present.
- Check you have wiped all personal data from the vehicle's system.
- Check there is at least a quarter of a tank of fuel present.
- Check you have a full service history and valid MOT certificate for your vehicle.
We do allow minor imperfections (relative to age, usage and mileage), but please speak to one of our team if you're unsure what qualifies as a minor imperfection.
Additional costs outside of wear and tear
We have created a handy list of all the most common damage charges customers face at the end of their contract. So it is a good idea to have a look at your documentation for any areas that are worth checking over to avoid being charged. Full details we be provided when your hire agreement is confirmed, or you can request the price list by contacting us.
Additional costs include:
- Key replacement
- Bodywork repairs
- Bodywork repaint
- Interior valet or repair
- Alloy repairs