Driving Abroad After Brexit: 5 Things Drivers Need to Know

06th May 2021

Everything you need to know

When driving a vehicle abroad, there are various documents you are likely to need, so it is worth getting hold of them sooner rather than later if you often take your vehicle overseas.

International Driving Permits (IDPs)

Woman Sitting In Car

You will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) as evidence that you are licensed to drive. There are two such permits relevant to the EU, each linked to different conventions.

However, both types of IDP may be required if travelling to more than one EU country that are covered by different conventions, for example France and Spain. IDPs are only available for a fee, and they will be time-bound, but without the appropriate permit, drivers risk being turned back and unable to complete their journey.

IDPs are easy to get hold of, being available over the counter at the Post Office.

Lease Vehicles

If you drive a rented or leased vehicle, including company cars, you must carry a VE103 certificate when taking this vehicle abroad.

This proves that you have permission from the vehicle owner to be in possession of the vehicle, and will help you to avoid long delays at borders or even having your vehicle seized.

Green Cards

You will need to obtain a motor insurance green card to insure your vehicle for driving abroad. These can be ordered from your motor insurance company.

Log Books

Car Steering Wheel

As is the case currently, you will need your vehicle log book (V5C), up-to-date with your most recent address, if you are taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months. You will have to show this if you are stopped at a port or on the road in another country.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, you may need to pay import duty when entering certain countries.

GB Stickers

All vehicles registered in the UK must display the international registration letters GB on the rear of the vehicle when taken temporarily abroad.

However, Euro-plates (registration plates with the EU symbol above the letters GB) will no longer be valid. If your vehicle has one, you must replace it with a number plate displaying the letters GB without the EU symbol. Alternatively, you can add a separate GB sticker.