Driving abroad after Brexit: 5 things to know

2ND APRIL 2019

The nature of the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union may be uncertain, but there are ways UK drivers can plan ahead for driving abroad post-Brexit. There are various documents you are likely to need so it’s worth getting hold of them sooner rather than later if you often take your vehicle overseas.


International Driving Permits (IDPs)

You currently only need an IDP for driving in countries outside of the EU and EEA. However, in the event of a no-deal Brexit, you may need an IDP to drive in all EU and EEA countries except Ireland.

The type of permit you will need depends on the countries you will be driving in: a 1926 IDP will be required for Liechtenstein, while a 1949 IDP will be required for Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus. All other EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland, will require a 1968 IDP.

IDPs are easy to get hold of, being available over the counter at the Post Office for £5.50.

Lease Vehicles

If you drive a rented or leased vehicle, including company cars, you must carry a VE103 certificate when taking this vehicle abroad. This proves that you have permission from the vehicle owner to be in possession of the vehicle, and will help you to avoid long delays at borders or even having your vehicle seized.

If you're leasing with PVM and need to order your VE103 certificate, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Log Books

As is the case currently, you will need your vehicle log book (V5C), up-to-date with your most recent address, if you’re taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months. You will have to show this if you are stopped at a port or on the road in another country.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, you may need to pay import duty when entering certain countries.

Green Cards

In the event of a no-deal, you will need to obtain a motor insurance green card to insure your vehicle for driving abroad. These can be ordered from your motor insurance company.

GB Sticker or Euro Plates?

All vehicles registered in the UK must display the international registration letters GB on the rear of the vehicle when taken temporarily abroad.

However, once the UK leaves the EU, Euro-plates (registration plates with the EU symbol above the letters GB) will no longer be valid. If your vehicle has one, you must replace it with a number plate displaying the letters GB without the EU symbol. Alternatively, you can add a separate GB sticker.

Get in Touch

Get in touch and we'll be happy to send you a GB sticker!